I think that all parents can relate when it comes to the struggle of spending time together as a family. I know for us, with work, school, homework, after school sports activists, and exhaustion it’s hard to squeeze in time during the week before bed time.
So in honor of all of those families that are pressed for time, I wanted to quickly share five (5) 30 minute activities you can do with your family that doesn’t involve homework or chores.
- Sit down together, surrender any electronics and distractions, and set a timer. This will allow you take that half hour to talk and discuss the day and any concerns they may have.
- Do a quick craft together. Popsicle sticks, glue and cotton balls go a long way. Trust me.. I am not that crafty!
- Watch a TV show together. I find it easier to choose a show that is family-friendly and appropriate for everyone to watch. In our home the kids are 8 and 14 and that is a big difference when it comes to entertainment. There are so many resources out there that range from You Tube Kids to Pure Flix. Pure Flix is wonderful because it’s a platform that takes the worry out of choosing something fun and appropriate for your family. If you are like me, you want what is easy and accessible, and family-friendly.
- Dare I say it? Yes! Set the timer and play a video game together. I know what you are thinking…. video games? Let me explain a bit.. We own the XBox 360 with Kinect (it’s a little old, but it works). We use the Kinect to ski, box each other or even dance. Not only does it get us up and moving, but it gets us moving together as we have fun.
- Go outside and go for a walk. While you are walking and getting your heart rate up, talk as family about something fun or plans you have made.
There are so many ideas out there that allow you fit just a small time frame of family time into your day. Don’t get me wrong, it may not be possible to always find that time, but that 30 minutes (just once a week) can go a long way.
Until Next Time!