In our household, we can not function without two cars because of work and the needs of the kids, as a whole. Each time it happened, we had a span of about a week to figure it out. Talk about stressful!
Usually, one has some time to research vehicles and their amenities, but sadly that may not be the case for many. At the time of each occurrence, we were not prepared to purchase a vehicle let alone a specific brand.
Here are 5 things to remember when purchasing a car with very little notice:
- Stay Calm!!! It will be more than fine and you will get through it.
- Figure out your budget and if you want a new or pre-owned vehicle. That is important and will help begin the search process. In our case, one of our cars had been paid off early, so we had to sit down to come up with a monthly payment that would be comfortable for us.
- Figure out what amenities the car should have, but narrow it down to only 2 (3 max) important amenities (aside from the safety features). For our SUV we knew that we needed enough interior space for our family, sports equipment and chairs. For the second car, it had to have enough space for the family, but should be small enough for my daughter to be able to drive when the time comes (which in our case is WAY sooner than later).
- Decide on the specific brand and contact your local dealer via the internet. Today, internet car shopping will save you so much time and effort because the price is already set and in our experience, no negotiations were necessary (good because I didn’t feel like haggling). Once you have made a decision, set up a time for a test drive. For us, this part took about 3 days. We purchased our vehicles from the dealership pictured above.
- If it feels right, move forward with your purchase.
It may seem like this process could take weeks, but it can be done. Believe me, I hated the process the way it was presented, but I wouldn’t change a thing. Sometimes, a quick vehicle purchase decision must be made, and you just have to roll with the punches.
Until Next Time!